A detached mansion of the Shō family, Kings of Ryūkyū, located on a hill to the south of Shuri castle. It was built to receive the envoy from China in 1800. The garden, which spreads to the south of the main building, is a stroll garden with paths arranged around a pond. From the standpoint of its shape and function, this garden falls within the tradition of daimyo gardens, but Chinese influences can also be discerned in its design, in elements such as the fountain called Ikutokusen, the hexagonal arbor on the central island, and the arched stone bridges. It is designated a national special scenic spot, and is inscribed on the World Heritage List as one of the Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryūkyū. It is located in the city of Naha, Okinawa prefecture.
Japanese Garden Dictionary: A Glossary for Japanese Gardens and Their History
(C) 2010 by Ono Kenkichi and Walter Edwards. All rights reserved.