The garden at Nijō castle, thought to have been constructed from 1602 to 1606 when Ninomaru palace was built, underwent extensive renovation by Kobori Enshū in 1626. The pond with its convoluted shoreline draws water from the three-stepped waterfall in the northeast of the garden, and has three islands placed in its northern part. Large colorful stones were used in plentiful fashion for shore protection as well as for ornamental stones placed on the slopes. It is designated a national special scenic spot, and is inscribed on the World Heritage List as one of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto. It is located in Nakagyō ward, Kyoto.
Japanese Garden Dictionary: A Glossary for Japanese Gardens and Their History
(C) 2010 by Ono Kenkichi and Walter Edwards. All rights reserved.