According to a legend handed down at this temple, Bishop Eshin had a pond dug and stones erected here in 1150, and it is accordingly thought that the Jōruriji temple garden was constructed at that time. It was a Pure Land garden, configured with a pond to the east of the Hall of the Nine Amida Buddhas, so that by standing on its eastern bank, the hall could be worshipped as symbol of the Pure Land to the west. There is a central island with a pebble beach in the pond, on which an upright stone is stood. The garden at Jōruriji temple is designated a national special scenic spot and historic site, and is located in the city of Kizugawa, Kyoto.
Japanese Garden Dictionary: A Glossary for Japanese Gardens and Their History
(C) 2010 by Ono Kenkichi and Walter Edwards. All rights reserved.