garden at Jōjuin temple
Jōjuin is the headquarters of Kiyomizudera temple. Its garden is thought to have been built by the beginning of the eighteenth century, for it was introduced in Tsukiyama teizōden (zenpen), published in 1735, as an elegant garden with a tranquil atmosphere. It is a pond garden meant to be appreciated from the shoin room, from where stones named Eboshi iwa on the central island, and Ritōseki on an island to its left, draw the viewer's attention. This garden is also well known for the technique placing a stone lantern on a hillside separated from the garden by a valley, making the hill look like a part of the garden. It is designated a national scenic spot, and is inscribed on the World Heritage List as one of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto. It is located in Higashiyama ward, Kyoto.
Japanese Garden Dictionary: A Glossary for Japanese Gardens and Their History
(C) 2010 by Ono Kenkichi and Walter Edwards. All rights reserved.