A garden of the Maeda family, lords of the Kaga domain. Built from the early Edo period (seventeenth century), and repaired by the successive lords, it was named Kenrokuen in 1837. Despite its location on a hill, it has a variety of water elements such as waterfalls, streams, and ponds, using water drawn into the garden from the Tatsumi culvert. Moreover, its water-related facilities such as stone bridges, water-crossing stones, and the famous kotoji (moveable bridge for a string on a koto) style lantern are excellently designed. It is one of the best daimyo gardens survivng from castle towns of the Edo period. Kenrokuen garden is designated a national special scenic spot, and is located in the city of Kanazawa, Ishikawa prefecture.
Japanese Garden Dictionary: A Glossary for Japanese Gardens and Their History
(C) 2010 by Ono Kenkichi and Walter Edwards. All rights reserved.